Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

A. A service provider must obtain a master permit to enter, use and occupy the right-of-way to locate facilities therein. If this requirement is preempted by state law because of a preexisting state-wide grant, it applies as a request, but no municipal action or inaction may be regarded as waiver of any provisions of this chapter.

B. Parties installing secondary facilities in or on existing facilities must accept all city conditions on the existing as well as secondary facilities. Providers of cable television services for hire need not obtain a master permit to provide such service where a cable franchise has been granted under federal or other law.

C. The approving authority for a master permit is the city council by ordinance, except master permits five years or less in duration or for limited areas may be granted by council resolution on recommendation of the administering officer. In addition, the administering officer may grant a temporary master permit, up to ninety days, renewable once for up to an additional ninety days. The administering officer may grant revocable permission for incidental or temporary uses of the right-of-way not involving permanent installations or for other minor purposes, but the provisions in Section 12.02.080, apply, except insurance requirements may be adjusted on recommendation of the city’s risk management advisor.

D. In addition to a master permit, a service provider must obtain permission to enter and use a specified right-of-way area to install, maintain, repair or remove identified facilities by means of a use permit. Utilities or agencies of the city are exempt from master permit or use permit requirements, but the administering officer may specify conditions of right-of-way use or occupancy, including the condition that city departments coordinate work in the right-of-way by giving appropriate notice to the municipal office issuing use permits.

(Ord. 1133 § 1, 2001)